Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

The girls helped me decorate the tree. We decided to try colored lights this year.  We have always had white lights on the tree but we thought the girls would like the colored lights better.  I bought these on clearance last year at Target, they are the big bulb LED lights.  They actually look pretty cool!




I have really started talking to the girls about Christmas and what it really is about.  I am hearing so much from them about Santa and presents and they are bombarded on the television about toys and games etc. that I finally said  "ok, we need to talk".  We talked about our blessings that we all ready have and that having our healthy family and celebrating the birth of Jesus is really what is important.  Trying to explain to them that not everyone lives in Johnston was and still is a challenge.  I think next year we will head to some shelters to help serve food so they can really see what it is like to not have anything! I have always done the shopping for the Giving Tree at church and they will for sure be involved next year.  I am going to see if we can help deliver the gifts as well.  I know it would be an eye opener to them... and probably me too!  It's so easy to get wrapped up in the gifts and parties and baking etc... that I find that this year I am really trying to focus and the MORE important things... family, Jesus and starting new traditions that will last us a lifetime.


Let the baking begin!  Chocolate Crinkles!

Macaroons.... my first time making those... so-so on taste!

Peanut Butter Star cookies... one of Eric's favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment